Thursday, November 6, 2008

Happy Halloween!

We like to do a family Halloween around here....and by family Halloween, I mean that I am the photographer and the rest of the family dresses in theme. In September (yes, I like to start planning that early), our theme was to be "The Farm". Maddie was going to wear Abby's chick costume, Dan was to be a farmer, Abby was to be a cow, Tucker and Duncan were either going to be eggs or cow patties - I hadn't gotten that far. Then, Abby came home with the phrase I had been dreading......"Mommy, I want to be Mary Poppins for Halloween." Blasted!! I'm not sure if you're aware, but Mary Poppins is currently not one of the Disness Princesses - you can't buy anything Mary Poppins. So (good thing I start in September), I realized I would have to make the dress, hat, umbrella, etc..... This is the first thing I've ever sewn from a pattern. (Which is not a Mary Poppins pattern - it's a princess dress pattern with some alterations).

So here they are - my Mary Poppins themed family! For those not familiar with the movie, I'll explain. Dan is Burt, the chimney sweep. Maddie is a penguin from the cartoon part of the movie where they jump through the chalk drawing. Tucker and Duncan are bankers - Jane and Michael's (the children) dad works in the bank.....which is why he doesn't have time for his children, which is why they need a nanny - enter Mary Poppins (but that's beside the point). And Abby, of course, steals the show as Mary Poppins!

(We watch a lot of Mary Poppins, in case you couldn't tell!)


Ladies and Gentlemen, we have lift-off!!

I guess instead of a spoonful of sugar, we'll just have a Twix!

This is the day of Halloween. Abby wore the cheerleading costume Nanna made for her to school. I wasn't about to let Mary Poppins come home with evidence of a 3 year old's Halloween party on it (cheetos, kool-aid, etc.).


4 comments:

Scott-n-Allena said...

Oh my gosh...LOL! You guys are a trip!!!! :o) Jen, you are so talented...the costume looks fantastic! By the way...I think a Twix is WAYYYYY BETTER than any spoonful of sugar!

Brad said...

I agree with the last caller..Spoonful of sugar. Is way overrated.

MelissaHardaway said...

"Jen, you are so talented...the costume looks fantastic!"

Jennifer, anything you want to add? Also, Abby looks like she's 9 years old.

Amanda Shelton said...

You should update more often.
Also, I miss you!